- Don the Beachcomber’s original recipe, his first concoction, and in its original form the source of his undying fame…
- Jeff “Beachbum” Berry spent over ten years tracking down this recipe and its secret “numbered spice” ingredients, and this probably dates from Don’s original formulation, as the source worked for Don beginning in 1937.
- To make one, combine 3/4 ounce fresh lime juice, 1/2 ounce falernum, 1 1/2 ounces each gold Puerto Rican rum and gold or dark Jamaican rum, 1 ounce 151-proof Lemon Hart Demerara rum, 1 teaspoon grenadine, 6 drops Pernod, a dash of Angostura bitters, and 1/2 ounce Don’s mix (2 parts grapefruit juice to 1 part cinnamon-infused sugar syrup; see Sippin’ Safari or Beachbum Berry Remixed, or the Total Tiki app for syrup recipe).
- Put this mix in an electric blender with 6 ounces (3/4 cup) crushed ice, then blend at high speed for no more than 5 seconds. Pour into a tall glass. Add ice cubes to fill. Garnish with a mint sprig.
- Don called his signature drink “a mender of broken dreams.” We think you’ll agree. But proceed with care: Don himself would serve no more than two to a customer.
© 2015 Jeff Berry