- 4 to 6 sweet potatoes peeled and sliced into ½ inch thick rounds
- ½ cup of brown sugar
- ½ stick of unsalted butter, plus more for the baking dish
- ½ cup of bourbon
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and butter an ovenproof gratin or casserole dish.
- Arrange the sweet potato slices in the prepared baking dish and season generously with salt and pepper.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, butter, bourbon, and syrup and bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. As soon as the sauce begins to boil, pour it over the arranged sweet potatoes in the baking dish.
- Bake at 350°F, turning the sweet potatoes and occasionally spooning liquid from the dish back over the top, until the sweet potatoes are tender, 45 to 60 minutes.
- Taste and adjust for seasoning with salt and pepper.